Sunday, May 19, 2024 5:41:47 AM

Leaking 'starter' carb & Fan bearing

9 years ago
#663 Quote
I hope someone can help, I'm having no luck researching these topics elsewhere! 1/ My 'starter' carb auto enrichment device at the front of the 3 carbs, has developed an annoying leak. Petrol seems to want to gush out of here at the most inopportune times, for no apparent reason. Other times it behaves, but then gushes when the engine is warm after a run, and nothing I do seems to stem the flow! I have had the unit apart and everything is still there, the 2 little holes aren't blocked and it functions normally as I said but then has this annoying habit of 'gushing' out petrol from time to time. Any advice would be enormously appreciated.  2/ After a recent 20 mile run, the car sounded like a bag of nails had been poured into the engine! Upon lifting the bonnet on the left hand side, I could see the fan pulley oscillating back and forth in the vertical plane! This was the bag of nails sound. I had previously had this apart and replaced the 'collar' that is supposed to hold the pulley wheel in it's proper place, and this looks to have disintegrated. My mechanic tells me that maybe the bearing itself, within the fan housing, that goes over the spindle into the block, had maybe given up? My question is this, can I remove the fan and it's housing without having to remove the radiator etc. and if yes, what sized bearing is the one necessary to replace here. I had the forethought to order 2 'collars' when getting the first, in case we messed up fitting the first, so I have a new collar to fit after replacing the bearing.  Again, any help with this will be greatly appreciated. "Desperate in the colonies". Posted by Alvis in Ontario 31/08/2014 15:56:24
9 years ago
#664 Quote
Philip,  If you don't get a response put your query out into the "general technical" forum with regard to your carburetor problems as I am sure others have had similar issues with respect to other models. Posted by RichardWallach 03/09/2014 02:33:50
9 years ago
#665 Quote
Thanks Richard, WB contacted me and I am trying his recommended fix, but I will in future, post it to the technical board. Thank you Posted by Alvis in Ontario 07/09/2014 12:29:49
9 years ago
#666 Quote
Problem solved thanks to all who helped. Posted by Offord4.3 11/09/2014 18:14:40