3 years ago
#2717 Quote
Colours for old cars are a contentious subject. Some people think that they should be returned or kept in their original hue, whilst others paint them as they see fit, either in original Alvis colours or modern ones. Clearly owners can do what they like to reflect their taste, with varying degrees of success. In any case the colour is something ephemeral, as paint deteriorates with age and will require replacement sooner or later. Fashions and tastes change over time and it’s amusing to see some new cars appearing in the pastel shades popular in the 1950s and 60s. Extrovert owners will sometimes choose ‘look at me’ finishes whilst others like to display quiet good taste. The colour can affect the value – I once inspected a Porsche in a metallic dark pink which had been bought very cheaply simply because the hue was not, shall we say, to everyone’s taste.

I thought it would be interesting to look at my 12/70 database and see what colours were applied when the cars were new in the period 1937 – 1940. The original colours of 735 12/70s are known, with a few blanks and cars exported as ‘chassis only’ deliveries. I think there were 12 standard factory colours offered and the list below shows these along with their code numbers and the number of cars delivered.

Read the rest of the Artivcle here:  https://alvisoc.org/images/uploaded/Articles/Model%20Sec%20Musings/More_Model_Secretary_Musings-1270_Colours.pdf

Author: Robin Gilbert.