Sunday, May 19, 2024 8:07:56 AM

12/70 front hubs end float

11 years ago
#1865 Quote
What is the correct end float for 12/70 front hubs?  Advice varies between none and approximately 1/16" at the wheels?  Thanks. Posted by hday 09/07/2012 20:16:06
11 years ago
#1866 Quote
Henry,           The Motor Trader Service Sheet says do the nut up tight, back off three castellations then put the split pin in. I've used this and it leaves enough rock for the MOT man to comment and say they should be tightened but he doesn't put it down as an advisory. If your bearings are perfect, then I would think backing off one castellation to insert the pin would be OK. Beware of taking out too much play if the bearings are worn or pitted. The rollers can then lock the bearing, meaning the inner track will begin to rotate on the stub axle, generating heat. This in turn welds the track to the stub axle and neatly twists the end off. At this point the wheel, tyre, hub, k.o. nut etc. make a determined bid for freedom! I write from experience, but it was on a TD21 and the disc brake caliper held the wheel on whilst I wrestled to bring the car to a halt on the hard shoulder from 80 mph. A preview of the Day of Judgment! Posted by RobinG 15/08/2012 19:44:02